Digital-age strategies for making depression work for rather than against us by means of art & community as behavior modification.

Monday, February 4, 2008

Film = Sculpture = Architecture :: WARNING :: Body Images


WARNING: There's some near-full and full-frontal nudity in the artworks.

Revisiting some motion pictures that were at one point or another diverted and lost to VHS.

What did it mean to my survival to give these films my entire attention for the better part of a year?

It was only in returning to them after some time away that I realize the repercussions:

  • I'd looked closely at one of my p*rps (made him into a kind of clown)
  • looked at the unacknowledged anger with my mother's unwitting betrayal

I was easily able to forgive my mom and dad. It wasn't their fault.

Demi, the painter responsible for the image @ right, had admonished me to be 'honest' when she gave it to me. Looked at that painting for years before the capacity for honesty sunk in. Demi's a survivor who's used art as healing tool, too.

TECHNICAL NOTES: Thanks to Ms. Jen Simmons and an eyetv 250 Plus, I'm able to digitize and revisit that footage.

The soundtrack's right channel offers a director's commentary. Below are links to two of the original, unadulterated poetry filmworks:

"Yoing" - written by Mikki LeMoine

"Mommie's Coming Back" - written by Jan McLaughlin

"The Psychic Poets Show" - written by Jan McLaughlin

The first two were originally shot on 35mm black & white stock - the same stock that Spielberg's 1993 "Schindler's List" was shot on. Our production performed pre-Schindler Beta tests for Kodak.

The other - "Psychic Poets" - was shot to a Beta deck.

Have lost touch with a lot of these people, in large part because of the depression.

No regrets.


Formats available: Quicktime Flash, .m4v



Faux Press Line :: Do Not Cross
Tags:





Tags:

2 comments:

Jay Dedman said...

i love what you do with media Jan.

Faux Press said...

Thanks, Jay.

Ya know, you're the first commenter here outside of the few human beings I've invited to the site because I know they understand.

So glad it was you.



Creative Commons License
Attribution spec: DepressionStrategies.blogspot.com